Thursday, June 24, 2010

A TRIBUTE TO MALAY FILM'S GOLDEN AGE AT THE NATIONAL MUSEUM IN SINGAPORE



I might have mentioned about this in an early posting but I don't mind repeating it.I was recently in Singapore doing research for an upcoming documentary on pre-Merdeka Malay nationalists. My destination was the Singapore National Museum, always one of my favourite stops.My partner, Ken, followed and before we went to the Singapore History Gallery, I took Ken to some of the other Galleries since he has never been to the Museum before.
I especially wanted him to check out the Malay Film Gallery celebrating the Golden Age of Malay films.
Ken took some very nice shots of the Gallery. Check it out below.

A multi-screened presentation of famous Malay films produced at Jalan Ampas
and also at Cathay Keris during the late 50s and 60s.
Amongst the films in the montage are Pontianak, Sergeant Hassan,
Raja Bersiong and Hang Tuah.

A display that had positive films of Malay film celebrities during
the Golden Age of Malay movies.

A colorised photo of my mother, Rosnani, taken for one of the more popular entertainment magazines of that time, Movie News.

Another photo taken in my parent's home in Jalan Chengkek, if I'm not mistaken.

This particular bags were once used to transport film reels all over the Peninsula.
Read the caption below.


I was surprised to discover that one of the cases (bags) had this label. This case was carrying my father's "Batu Belah Batu Bertangkup" which marked his directorial debut in 1957. This case carried the 16mm reels and not the 35mm reels, which probably meant that the reels were meant for smaller towns or even for the open air screenings at villages around Singapore and Malaya at that time.

No comments: