Wednesday, December 24, 2008


We got up for golf around 9 am local time, but by the time we had breakfast and organised transportation, we were at the golf club around 11am.
Now, Black Forest Golf Course or Bukit Kayu Hitam Golf Course, is unique - only because of its location. Apart from that, the course is ill equipped for a good game of golf. This is rather unfortunate because the architecture and design of the course are excellent.
The fairway for most of the holes blends with the rough, so you really don't know whether you have had teed off into the fairway.
Rough, fairway, green or tee box? You guess.

The rough pulak was covered in dried cut grass or hay. So if you had the unfortunate luck of hitting your ball into the rough, chances are it dribbled under a stack of these dried brown dead grass. Chances are, you won't find it.
The greens? Totally unpredictable. Some greens were fast, some slow, some sandy and some had grass. Some were big but a few were postage stamps. So go figure how you wanna play this course.

Luckily, the club allows golfers to drive their buggies into the fairway allowing us to cut and save time. The caddies, who were Thai, thankfully could speak Malay unlike those in Bangkok and Chiengmai. They were also very professional and most times quite helpful.

Another friend, Baha, tee off from the blue tee.

How did I do? Well, for the past few months, I cannot tee off with a driver. And I kept trying, and I kept screwing up. Halfway, I decided to tee off with my driving iron. So, at the end of the day I had three pars and a score of a 100. Betting wise, I lost about RM60.
The weather was surprisingly hot but the breeze made it quite pleasant.
After having a quick lunch at the club, we went straight back to the hotel. I was already yawning and feeling tired. The guys were already planning to go out karaokeing (it was past 4pm) and warming themselves up for another night of revelry.
I went right up to my room and called for a masseuse. The operator asked me: " Nak yang muda kah yang pandai massage?"
I said "yang pandai massage".
Half and hour later, there was a knock on my door. I opened it, and there was this little old lady about late 40ish grinning at me: "Mashaj?"
An hour into my two-hour massage, I was already sleeping soundly under the safe hands of a true masseuse.
Later, in the evening, all fresh from my invigorating massage, I decided to get dinner at a row of stalls run by a group of tudung clad ladies. It was about a 100 meters from our hotel along the main road. Their nasi goreng is quite good. A couple of friends, Ruslee and Melvin, joined me. From a few text messages, we found out that our friends are already at Bangkok Club.
So that was where we ended up after our dinner.
The club was already rollicking when we arrived. It was crowded as usual and our group was already bopping heads.
For non-smokers, please note that unlike Chiengmai and Bangkok, Danok allows smokers to light up in clubs and restaurants, so the place is as smokey as it can get.
The performances there were actually entertaining eventhough most of the songs were Thai. After the live music ended, the so-called erotic dancers were also once again gyrating to the fengtau music - same moves, same fake smiles, same bellybuttons.
I was quite relieved when our group decided to go to another club, the Paragon. At least I thought I get to see the insides of another club.
Boy, was I wrong.
Paragon was for fengtau maniacs. The decibel level of the music (if you can call it that) inside should be declared illegal. I felt the insides of my chest beating to the vibrations from the speakers. Macam nak dapat heart attack. The place was also completely dark and packed like sardines. You can't see anything except for sudden silhouettes when the disco lights come on.
I lasted ten minutes.
In the dark, I made my way out without saying goodnight to the others. They didn't realise that I left. I walked alone back to my hotel stopping by one of the numerous 7-Elevens to get some snacks and milk.
I couldn't wait for the night to end. My two nights in Danok seemed like forever. Another night to come. Jeez, I thought I'd never say this, but I wanted to leave Thailand and return to the sanity of Malaysia.

No comments: